Are there really benefits to breastfeeding?
Breastfeeding is a beautiful experience. One of the best decisions I made in my life was to breast feed my boys. Not only is it extremely beneficial for their health; helping to protect them against many illnesses, while also lowering the risk of SIDS. I love the bond and special moments I share with my children while nursing. The amazing snuggles they give me and the comfort I can provide them fills my heart with warmth. But along with those precious moments that will never be replaced or forgotten there are also fun benefits of breastfeeding given to you, the mama, while nursing your children.
Here’s 5 BONUS benefits of breastfeeding
- I get to sit on my tush for a few minutes– several times a day. As moms we live a busy life of go, go, go. Many hours spent chasing after and playing with our children, and running them doctors appointments and soccer practices. So those moments when my 6 month old wants to have his Mama milk, I get at least 15 minutes to sit down and relax where I don’t feel like I should be doing something else.
- Playing off the above. While nursing I browse facebook, chat with friends, look up things on Pinterest I will probably never recreate, and catch up on TV shows I usually fall asleep to at night. I may be feeding my child, but I consider this “me” time too.
- You get to be a little lazy. This is one of my favorite bonus benefits of breastfeeding. Remember the newborn stage and the constant feedings? Of coarse you do! I loved not having to get out of bed to make bottles in the middle of the night. All I had to do was life up my shirt and it’s party time. My baby is fed and I didn’t open an eye. The feedings may not be as constant now in the wee hours of the morning, but I still have the luxury of laying in bed instead of trudging my tired butt downstairs to the kitchen to make a bottle.
- Get to make hubby help. When hubby hollers, “Honey the big one pooped” I get to respond with, “Oh sorry babe… You will have to change it, I have a baby on the boob.” (Yes- I’m extremely sorry I won’t be able to smell that wretched odor that evacuates from my toddlers rear)
- The ability to disappear. Though I am not shy about nursing. I have nursed at theme parks, family picnics, birthday parties, the mall, and while grocery shopping to name a few. It can provide a great escape if you want some quite time or to avoid certain people. Oh sorry I have to go feed the baby- I’ll be back in 20. (Maybe, if we don’t fall asleep in bed or if I don’t play catch up on my TV shows) #sorryimnotsorry
These bonus benefits of breastfeeding above along with the health benefits and bonding moments make breastfeeding a fantastic choice for you and your child. I am almost 7 months in with my youngest son with no plans to stop in the near future, and why would I? Those perks make extended breast feeding sound even better. So excuse me while I go lay down… I mean feed my son.
Welcome to Time for Mom!
Follow Rachel B // Cant Google Everything’s board Time for Mom Superstars on Pinterest.