Looking for a simple, no cook dinner idea? Try out our Apple Craisin Walnut Salad with Strawberry Walnut Dressing. This post is sponsored by California Walnuts. All thoughts & opinions are our own.
This weather is beautiful this week which means undoubtedly that I’m not going to feel like cooking come dinner time. Please, someone tell me I’m not the one this happens too. Luckily, while Andrew is super picky, he is really easy going when it comes to light meals on summer nights. We often do breakfast for dinner when I don’t feel like cooking. However, salads are increasing becoming one of our favorite go-tos.
We’ve been playing around with salads over the last year or so and this Apple Craisin Walnut Salad with Strawberry Walnut Dressing is one of the best we’ve made. It’s so simple and healthy. Yet, it’s packed full of flavor and a great source of protein from the walnuts.
Most of our salads have either hard boiled eggs or chicken as the protein, but I was ideally looking for a meal that didn’t need meat. Cooking meat was just another step in the dinner process and I wanted something that was even faster to put together. Insert: California Walnuts.
The Fridge-A-Dare challenge!
We were actually challenged by California Walnuts to a Fridge-A-Dare! The goal was to create something inside our fridge (and/or pantry), using California walnuts. Walnuts are a simple, yet versatile way, to add crunch and huge flavor to any meal.
We decided to create this amazing Apple Craisin Walnut salad with Strawberry Walnut dressing. The combination of the fresh and dried fruits with the delicate but robust walnut flavors is an amazing burst of deliciousness inside your mouth.
We upped the deliciousness with this amazing strawberry walnut salad dressing. Over the last 2-3 years, I’ve found that creating your own salad dressing yields to so much more flavors than store bought dressings. This one took the cake though. It’s easily one of the best ones I’ve created so far.
I’ll stop talking now! I know you just want the recipe! Check out other recipes using #WhatsInYourFridge!
- 6 cups spinach (any lettuce mix will do)
- 1 red apple, very thinly sliced
- 1 green apple, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup strawberries , fresh or frozen (must be thawed)
- 1/3 cup walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pink salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- In a food processor, add all salad dressing ingredients except oil.
- Blend until well combined.
- Slowly drizzle in olive until combined.
- Store in air tight container in fridge until ready to serve
- Add all salad ingredients to a large salad bowl.
- *Tip: If making this ahead of time, drizzle lemon juice over apple slices to prevent browning
- Serve with Strawberry Walnut Salad drizzle over top or on the side.
Looking for more ideas using walnuts!?