Our entire family loves Mexican and Spanish foods. We have it weekly in our meal plan and I’m always looking for new and creative ways to make it fun for us. Recently, I put together a meal train for my best friend before her son was going in for surgery and another mom made her a casserole that smelled amazeballs. I believe she wrote beef and cheese casserole on the top, but it smelled like tacos, so I knew that I needed to have it.
I asked her for the recipe and she laughed and basically said she threw a bunch of stuff together. I was determined to recreate it and took her list and came up with a plan. The first time I made it, Andrew was blown away. He said that I needed to immediately write it down in our recipe book and that it needed to be put into the rotation. I made it again for a get together we had here and it was a hit by both my mom friends and the kids. I decided that that I must blog it because everyone else needed to know about it too!
I got our Mini Chef into the kitchen for this one with me. It was a great exercise at teaching her all about measurement sizes with making the homemade taco seasoning. I also let her have some control of the cooking process. We haven’t let her do much on the stove yet, but we talked about the heat and making sure she didn’t get to close, especially because we have a gas stove, so there’s an actual fire. She did so well. My mom had given her kid’s sized utensils when she was here last and the little spatula was perfect for this recipe together.
This is definitely in our rotation now and whether you are looking for new dinner inspiration, something insanely easy to put together for your next get togethers (this is perfect for football/sports parties), or just a healthy dish, make sure you pin this so you have it to make too! Looking for a great casserole dish? We love this one!
- 1lb ground beef
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning (see recipe below)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (can sub sour cream)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- Tortilla Chips
- Optional: Green Onions, Cilantro, additional greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat for 4 minutes.
- Add in the diced peppers, onions, and garlic. Cook for an additional 4 minutes.
- Add in black beans, yogurt, and salsa. Stir to combine. Continue to cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- In a 9x13 casserole dish, spread the cooked rice evenly along the bottom of the dish.
- Transfer meat mixture and spread evenly on top of the rice.
- Top with cheese.
- Put into the oven for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
- Top with an optional ingredients and serve with tortilla chips.
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 11 fabulous bloggers!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well. We would love it if you would share your Mini Chef posts with us each week, too! Follow along socially and join in on the fun by using our hashtag #MiniChefMondays to share creations your mini chef created in the kitchen. Additionally, if you have a kid-friendly recipe that kids can easily recreate link up! Don’t have a blog? Share the URL of your instagram photo in our linky below.
- No Bake Oreo Cheesecake // Courtney’s Sweets
- Creamy White Chicken Chili // Momma Lew
- Cherry Brownie Parfaits // Baby Loving Mama
- Baked Taco Casserole // We’re Parents
- Berry Sorbet // Frugal Novice
- Healthy Football Appetizer Seahawks Fruit Salad // Eating Richly
- Heart Shaped Eggs with Bacon Hearts // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- I Love You Cupcake Fondue // Step Stool Chef
- Chocolate Dutch Baby // Vegging at the Shore
- Meatball Sub Cups // Mom’s Messy Miracles
- Best Cookbooks for Children // O’Boy! Organic
- Apple Sandwiches and Preschoolers Cook Cookbook Giveaway // Can’t Google Everything