Skibbles loves to bake. It’s one of her favorite things to do and I always make a learning experience out of it. Whether we are talking about colors of our ingredients, learning fractions from the measuring cups, or counting things out, there’s always something to learn. One of her favorite things to make is any type of cupcake or cake. Can you blame her? I decided this week we were going to make Blueberry Lime Cupcakes. A delicious yellow lime cupcake made from scratch, stuffed with a blueberry sauce and then topped with a lime and cream cheese frosting. WHAT!? YESSSSSS!!!
Skibbles has embraced the Mini Chef title full force. She’s absolutely adorable whenever she thinks the video is rolling. Since we do videos on our social media channels, she’s got her tag lines down the second she thinks we are recording. “Hey guys, I’m Mini Chef Skibbles. What we making today? We making _____ (insert what we’re making)”. It’s one of my greatest joys since bringing her into the world. She also constantly asks for her picture to be taken when she’s doing something involving food.
Andrew and I were actually having a conversation about how awesome it would be if she ended up as a chef or baker because of all the adorable and fun photos we have of her cooking and/or baking in the kitchen. Who know what she will be when she grows up, but at the very least she’s going to know her way around the kitchen much better than I did at any age and for that, I’m happy. She has been trying to get her sister involved more when we do things in the kitchen and I’ve happily been letting her. I absolutely just adore watching them bond together and food seals that bond even more.
I also started letting her practice piping icing on the cupcakes this time. She did amazing for her first time. Albeit, it was more of just some blobs on top, it was adorably sweet to watch how excited doing this made her.
These blueberry lime cupcakes were amazing and we hope you love them as much as we do!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 8oz (1 package) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp lime zest
- Extra lime zest for top
- 1 pint frozen blueberries
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar.
- Add in honey, vanilla, and eat and beat together again.
- Add in milk and vanilla Greek yogurt and beat together again.
- Slowly add in flour mixture until well combined.
- Fold in the lime zest.
- In a greased or paper cup lined muffin tin fill each cup 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While making, make the blueberry sauce. Take off heat to slightly cool.
- When cupcakes are done, remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove the center of each cupcake with a small teaspoon (we used 1/4 tsp) carefully making sure not to go all the way down to the bottom.
- Fill each center with blueberry sauce.
- Beat butter and cream cheese together for 5 minutes.
- Add in powdered sugar and beat until combined.
- Mix in lime juice and lime zest until well combined.
- Spread frosting over cupcakes using a piping bag with desired tip.
- Shave extra zest on top of cupcakes if desired.
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 8 fabulous bloggers! Read how Mini Chef Mondays started, plus how to link up!
Join our facebook group to find even more recipes and share recipes too!
Join the Mini Chef Mondays newsletter to get the latest recipes delivered to your email each week! Don’t worry, we will only use your email for Mini Chef Mondays recipes, pinky promise!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well!
- Yogurt Parfait with Fresh Fruit // Courtney’s Sweets
- Quick and Easy Fudge Recipe // Momma Lew
- Berry Kiwi Cooler // Finding Zest
- Blueberry Lime Cupcakes // We’re Parents
- Cake Batter Ice Cream Recipe // Eating Richly
- Dipped Sprinkled Ice Cream Cones // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Lavender Blueberry Ice Pops // Vegging at the Shore
- Real Fruit Healthy Slushies // O’Boy! Organic
- Fresh Peach Sorbet // My Mini Adventurer