With both girls now, I’ve had to go dairy free while nursing due to them having reactions. When I went dairy free with Skibbles it was so difficult. I felt like I basically lived on air and paper without being able to have cheese and milk. Luckily, this time around was much easier. I had go to meals from when I was dairy free with Skibbles and over the almost three years in between babies, we’ve started to eat much healthier so I had alternatives already in place for many things. Still, I’ve been branching out more and more with recipes, trying to make them allergen friendly, so when I was recently asked to work with Bumble Bee® Albacore, I knew I had to figure out a way to make a dairy free tuna noodle casserole. I honestly always forget about adding tuna into my meal plans, but it really is an easy and delicious way to get nutrients into you meals, like lean protein, healthy fat, along with other vitamins and minerals.
This is no easy task, I might add. The best of the best tuna noodle casseroles are heavily armed with creamed soups, milk, and topped with more cheese. I was daunted by the feat at hand but I knew I would be able to figure it out. I headed to my local store and was easily able to find the Bumble Bee® products in the canned Seafood section of the store. I grabbed the Solid White Albacore in water (they also make it in oil) along with the other ingredients I needed for this dish and headed home to start working on my masterpiece.
One of the best things about this meal is that it’s LOADED with veggies and our toddler ate it right up. She not only asked for seconds, but thirds. That’s a parenting win.
For under $10, I was able to make a huge, delicious, protein packed dinner that could have fed 8 people when paired with a salad. Lucky for us, it was able to last for a few lunches instead!
- 2 cans (5oz each) Bumble Bee® Chunk White Albacore in Water
- 4 cups cooked pasta noodles (we used Rotini)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 1 can coconut milk cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen (or fresh) peas
- 1 tbsp curry
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 sleeve Ritz crackers (about 15), crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet, add coconut oil and heat over medium high heat. Add the onion and red pepper and cook until translucent (about 4-5 minutes).
- In a small bowl, combine the coconut milk and chicken broth and whisk together.
- In a large bowl, combine the Bumble Bee® Chunk White Albacore, cooked pasta, onion and pepper mixture, peas, curry, thyme, pepper, and nutritional yeast.
- Gently stir together until well combined.
- Spread into a casserole dish.
- Top with the crumbled crackers.
- Place into the oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Let stand for 10-15 minutes to allow juices to soak into dish before serving.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.