This Caramel Apple Cinnamon Roll Wreath is the perfect brunch or breakfast meal for the holidays! Affiliate Links contained in the post help us earn a commission.
Every year, on Christmas morning, my mom would pop open a can of cinnamon rolls and pop them into the oven. We all knew that she would get the middle one and then the rest were up for grabs. I remember begging to lick the icing container of any last remnants that remained inside. It was pure bliss as a child.
Now, that my girls are older, I love making them cinnamon rolls too. It’s actually an amazingly fun thing to make with thing. We have them on special occasions or just because, but it’s always awhile in between. Their giddy laughter warms my heart when I tell them what we are making. They jump up and down, dance, and run around with excitement. They too love to like the bowl of icing when I’m done pouring it on.
For the holidays though, I wanted to do something extra special. We decided we were going to make a wreath out of our cinnamon roll dough. We may have done a few more practices runs at this one….strictly for testing purposes only. *wink wink*
Warm, soft dough, layered with a caramel apple sauce is the most amazingly special cinnamon roll creation we’ve made to date. The kids gobbled it up (naturally) and begged for more.
Then you have the option to top with a homemade caramel apple icing or leave it on the side to dip. We topped our caramel apple cinnamon roll wreath with cranberries, dried blueberries, nuts and powdered sugar too.
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages instant yeast
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp apple pie spice + 1/4 tsp apple pie spice (divided)
- 2 cups apple cider reduced to 1/2 cup
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp apple pie spice
- Chopped pecan
- chopped almonds
- dried blueberries
- powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Grease a 14x16 pan with coconut oil and set aside,
- In a large bowl, add flour, sugar, salt, and yeast.
- Whisk to combine well.
- Set aside.
- In a small microwavable bowl, melt butter (about 30 seconds).
- Add in water and milk to butter bowl and heat for an additional 30 seconds.
- Carefully mix together so heated through.
- Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture.
- Add the eggs and knead with hand until the dough is no longer sticky (do not overknead)
- Place in a bowl and cover with a tea towel for 15 minutes.
- While dough is rising, make the filling:
- Add all the ingredients, reserving the additional 1/4 tsp apple pie spice for later) for caramel apple filling to a medium saucepan.
- Heat over medium for 10 minutes, only stirring 2-3 times max. This will bubble up a bit but that's fine.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- After dough has risen for 20 minutes, roll it out into the shape of a rectangle. This should be roughly 30x20 in size. Ensure that you don't have more dough in the middle than you do at the ends or your wreath will not be even.
- Spread the cooled caramel apple filling evenly across the rolled out dough. Work quickly so the filling doesn't harden.
- Evenly spread the remaining 1/4 tsp apple pie spice on top of the filling.
- Working from the longest side, tightly roll dough up. It's important that you get it as tight as possible.
- With the seam side down, cut the cinnamon roll in half length wise.
- Carefully place the two pieces side by side and place the right side over the left side.
- Continue to braid the two strands until you reach the end.
- Then carefully move the roll onto your greased baking sheet and form a circle, shaped like a wreath.
- Cover lightly with aluminum foil.
- Turn the oven OFF and place the covered wreath into the oven for 35 minutes.
- After the 35 minutes is up, turn the oven back ON to 375 degrees and remove the foil.
- Bake the caramel apple cinnamon roll wreath for 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the center is cooked all the way through. Note: if your oven brown faster and you notice golden brown around 25 minutes, place the foil back on top.
- While wreath is cooking, make the icing:
- Add 2 cups of apple cider to a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Reduce down to 1/2 cup liquid. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese and powdered sugar.
- Add in apple pie spice and reduced cider and blend until combined well.
- Place in fridge until ready for cinnamon roll wreath.
- Remove cinnamon roll wreath. If some of the filling has pooled into the middle, use a spoon and drizzle across the top of the wreath. Let cool.
- Top with caramel apple icing and optional toppings.
- Serves 16.
This was truly one of our most favorite things that we have made on our site before and we hope that you truly enjoy it as much as we have. Happy Holidays from our family to yours!
Some items that may help you make this recipe: