As a parent, you know that pizza can pretty much solve all of life’s problems for yourself and your child. Upset teen? Give them pizza. Overstimulated toddler? Make a pizza. Tween in a rush to get to sports after school…PIZZA! There has been numerous times for all parents where pizza has come to the rescue for us. Most families make or order pizza on a consistent basis. Growing up for me, that was Friday nights and we’ve traditionally followed the same now that Andrew and I are parents as well.
If you’ve been following us for any extended amount of time, you know that we frequently use our homemade pizza dough recipe pretty much all the time. It takes five minutes or less to stir together and we’ve gotten it down to a science in perfection. With just 5 ingredients, we want all families to know how easy it is to make your own pizza dough at home. It’s also a great experience for kids to learn as well.
Skibbles enjoys making pizza dough from start to finish. Measuring, pouring, and stirring all the ingredients together and then after letting it rise, she loves kneading it out. At almost four, she naturally needs a little help, but giving the ingredients are so cheap to make, I never have to worry about her messing up. Quite honestly, sometimes she even comes up with some pretty neat ideas too that we have slated to share with you in the future.
Today, however, I was searching for something to share that was easy, freezeable, and would be a huge hit with everyone as back to school time has hit again. I channeled a previous recipe, our Popable Pizza Bites, and decided to make these Ham and Cheese Bites. Not only are these insanely easy to make, but you can freeze them, either before or after cooking. I always prefer to freeze them after cooking, that way you can just pop them in the microwave to reheat, rather than having to wait for them to cook.
With so many sports, extracurricular activities, and just needing quick and simple meals, this is definitely one to add to the books! Don’t forget the Honey Mustard BBQ sauce to dip! As always, we hope you enjoy!
- Pizza Dough Recipe
- 1 8oz block of Colby cheese, cut into 28 pieces
- 1 8oz package of Smoked Deli Ham (or favorite deli ham)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Prepare pizza dough according to the directions, letting one half rise, and freezing second half.
- *Optional: If you wish to double this recipe, let both halves rise and double amount of ham and cheese above
- Roll out dough into 28 equal balls.
- Roll each ball into a small circle and add one piece of cheese and approximately 1/2 tbsp of ham.
- Fold up edges around filling and place in 13x9 baking dish seam side down.
- Repeat until all balls are filled and in baking dish.
- Mix seasonings together.
- Brush each with melted butter and sprinkle with seasoning.
- Cover and freeze overnight (or at least 30 minutes).
- Baking: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove cover and place into oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve along with Honey Mustard BBQ sauce.
Tips: After freezing overnight (or for 30 minutes), place in a sealed zip bag in freezer until ready to cook, then follow directions. OR cook, then cool, and place in a sealed zip bag in freezer until ready eat. Microwave 30 seconds at a time until cooked through. Cool down and serve.