Growing up, my mom was very verbal about things she did and did not like. In turn, that made my sister and I very vocal about the things that we didn’t like either (usually, it was things that she didn’t like, because well, if she wasn’t making them, we didn’t get the chance to try them). Even with that, chili was something that she made often; however, I always refused to eat it. Part of that was because my parents made it with venison and I refused to eat that. Luckily, once I went to college, I started trying new things. It took awhile, but I do love chili now. One of the reasons that I love getting in the kitchen with our Mini Chef is that she’s able to touch, taste, and explore the foods that we are cooking with everyday.
This 3 bean chicken chili is a favorite in our house. For me, I love that it’s so quick and easy. Throw everything in the crockpot and go about your business. I love that Skibbles can truly help with almost every aspect of making this meal with just a little help. Most of all, I love that Andrew actually eats it. We’ve mentioned before that he’s one of the world’s pickiest adults and before making this he refused to eat any type of soup or stew. I’ve gotten him to love this meal and hoping it’s the start of loving more and more soups.
Whenever we make our 3 bean chicken chili, we put it in the crockpot before bed and then turn it on. When we wake up in the morning it’s already done. I love doing it this way because not only is dinner for the day already done, but it allows the flavors to marinate together even longer, making it that much better.
We always serve chili with plain Greek yogurt and cheese on top and have sides of cubed avocado and homemade buttered bread to go alongside it. It’s such a great meal.
- 2 large chicken breasts about 1lb total
- 1 28 oz can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 cup green peppers diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tbsp cacao powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: plain greek yogurt or sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, crackers, bread
- Put all ingredients into a crockpot (YES, Everything).
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Once down, pull out the cooked chicken breasts, and using two forks, shred the chicken.
- Put back in crockpot and stir together well.
- Serve with optional toppings.
- Store leftovers in fridge or freeze.
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 11 fabulous bloggers!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well. We would love it if you would share your Mini Chef posts with us each week, too! Follow along socially and join in on the fun by using our hashtag #MiniChefMondays to share creations your mini chef created in the kitchen. Additionally, if you have a kid-friendly recipe that kids can easily recreate link up! Don’t have a blog? Share the URL of your instagram photo in our linky below.
- Homemade Maple Yogurt Recipe // Courtney’s Sweets
- Jello Play Doh // Momma Lew
- Best Baked Oatmeal Recipe with Apples and Pears // Baby Loving Mama
- 3 Bean Chicken Chili // We’re Parents
- Spicy Shredded Beef Quesadillas // Frugal Novice
- Easy Salmon Recipe That Kids Will Actually Eat // Eating Richly
- Homemade Chicken Nuggets // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Kid Safety Tips for Kids // Step Stool Chef
- Avocado Stuffed Potatoes // Vegging at the Shore
- Gingerbread Cookies and Cream Bars // Mom’s Messy Miracles
- Applesauce Muffins // O’Boy! Organic
- Chocolate Covered Pretzel Snowflakes // Can’t Google Everything