*Disclosure: Affiliate links may be contained in this post. We receive a small commission for purchases and thank you for helping us continue to run our site.
It can be intimating and a bit overwhelming to move with young children. They want to grab everything in sight and unpack the boxes, furthering this daunting task. Our family is in the midst of a move right now; below are some examples of ways we entertained our son while packing up our home. I hope they are as useful for you as they have been for us.
1. When packing the kitchen let your child explore the pots and pans. Children love to bang and stack them. This will keep you toddler entertained while you pack other items in the kitchen.
2. When packing try to turn it into a game. Stand and toss the stuffed animals into the box. See how many you each can make in a row. (I told my son the animals were going on a vacation and we would see them in a few days.)
Tip: I wouldn’t pack all of the stuffed animals; it is likely your child will want them if you do. I let him keep 5 stuffed animals out to play with.
3. When packing clothes- I cleaned out the closets first. Doing so left a completely empty closet for him to play in. I also let him play dress up with the clothes I would be donating. He loved the hats and scarves, some of the hats he is still playing with a day later.
5. Decorations/picture frames- I used this as a learning activity while packing. I would point to people in the photos and ask him who each person was. (This is a great way to encourage talking)
7. Most importantly make sure you take a few uninterrupted breaks to play with your child. This will help keep them from getting bored and irritable. It is easy to get lost in mundane tasks, you both deserve a break. Sit down, share a snack and play for at least an hour. The boxes will still be there when play time is over. I hope these tips can also help your family, they have been very helpful for mine in our latest packing/moving adventure.