Rice Krispies cereal and Rice Krispie treats are the fluff of my childhood memories. And I’m not talking about the store bought treats. Homemade folks. We made them so often. And who can really forget pouring milk into a bowl of the cereal and listening for the crackling sound. While, we don’t eat a lot of boxed cereal in our house, I will be teaching the girls about both of these things. We got a box to make the Christmas Rice Krispie Treats that I’m going to share with you today, and I poured Skibbles a bowl of cereal and was telling her to listen for the crackles. It was hysterical and I’m not really sure she even knew what in the world I was talking about. Pretty sure in her mind she was like, “Get away from my cereal mom, you’re acting crazy, I don’t want to put this bowl up to my ear.”
But then life got fun. We grabbed the butter, marshmallows and cereal and got to work on the most delicious rice krispie treats recipe you’ll ever have. We made homemade fudge sauce and homemade caramel sauce and grab the sprinkles for an epic day of fun in the kitchen.
Side note: Before we made these, Andrew had never tasted a homemade rice krispie treat. o_O
Since we started our Mini Chef Mondays series, I have watched Skibbles self-esteem and confidence soar. She’s becoming increasing more independent (as if we wasn’t enough already), but she’s also asking to do more and more things, especially while we are in the kitchen, like make her own sandwich or beat the eggs or make her oatmeal for breakfast. I know we are teaching her invaluable life skills. We also learned our first “mistake” making these. Even though we continuously talk about safety no matter what we are cooking, she accidentally touched the pot today for a millisecond. It was a great teaching moment and had her really understand now why I keep emphasizing so much that it’s hot. She was so much more careful afterwards.
Side note: Andrew loves them!
So without futher ado, here’s our delicious recipe, including the fudge sauce and caramel sauce recipes
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 10oz bag of jumbo marshmallows
- 6 cups rice crispy cereal
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 9 tbsp butter
- pinch salt
- 1 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium low heat.
- Add in entire bag of marshmallow and stir until melted.
- Add in cereal a cup at a time and combine well.
- Scoop out mixture onto a baking sheet and flatten evenly across entire sheet.
- Allow to cool.
- Cut out Christmas shapes using Christmas cookie cutters.
- Dip in homemade fudge sauce or homemade caramel sauce if desired.
- (Best if eaten same day as made)
- For either sauce, pour all the ingredients into a small sauce pan. Heat over low for 10 minutes, stirring frequently so it doesn't burn. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes. Caramel sauce needs to be dipped, then cooled, then dipped again to show up on treats. After dipping, place treats on wax paper and allow to harden in freezer for 5-10 minutes. If traveling with treats, separate them in layers with wax paper.
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 11 fabulous bloggers!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well. We would love it if you would share your Mini Chef posts with us each week, too! Follow along socially and join in on the fun by using our hashtag #MiniChefMondays to share creations your mini chef created in the kitchen. Additionally, if you have a kid-friendly recipe that kids can easily recreate link up! Don’t have a blog? Share the URL of your instagram photo in our linky below.
- Christmas Tree Holiday Brownies // Courtney’s Sweets
- Applesauce Cinnamon Ornaments // Momma Lew
- Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls // Baby Loving Mama
- Christmas Inspired Rice Krispie Treats // We’re Parents
- Creamy & Crunchy Chicken Crescents // Frugal Novice
- Asian Pork Belly Bean Soup Recipe // Eating Richly
- Grinch Green Hot Chocolate // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Pizza Burger Sliders // Step Stool Chef
- Cheese Blintzes with Strawberry Sauce Like Your Grandmother Made // Vegging at the Shore
- Gourmet Potatoes // Mom’s Messy Miracles
- Gingerbread Pancakes // O’Boy! Organic
- Hanukkah Gelt Cookies! // Can’t Google Everything