If you’ve ever wondered How To Make Fluffy Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes, then this post is for you.
DISCLOSURE: THIS POST CONTAINERS AFFILIATE LINKS WHICH HELPS US EARN A COMMISSION TO KEEP OUR SITE RUNNING.
If you’ve ever been into a real diner, then you know what it’s like to have the fluffiest, airiest (is that a word!?) pancakes that you’ve ever had. Regular homemade recipes and boxes can’t compare to a fluffy diner style pancake. Today, we’re sharing our little secret of how to make fluffy homemade buttermilk pancakes. The buttermilk in this recipe paired with the secret of fluffy pancakes will make you never want to buy a box of pancake mix again.
Seriously though, there’s something just so amazing about being able to start with just a few ingredients and then make them into something you thought was only achievable at a restaurant. I know for us it’s deeply rewarding.
So want the secret to the fluffiest homemade pancakes?
Egg whites beaten to stiff peaks.
That’s it. That’s the secret. Listen, I understand it’s more work. I understand it’s another dirty bowl. But do you want the fluffiness or not? It’s worth it I promise. Plus, it doubles as a fun science lesson for the littles.
Once you make your normal batter, you want to whip egg whites to stiff peaks and then very carefully fold the egg whites into your pancake batter.
You want to make sure that you don’t break the egg whites down, so carefully folding them in is the key here if you want really fluffy pancakes. Just enough until it’s mixed together and then leave it alone.
Once you have your batter made, you can get them cooking like normal. The beaten egg whites is the key here. While your cooking your pancakes don’t forget to whip up some of our delicious homemade butter.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg yolk, plus 3 egg whites
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter (make homemade butter), plus more for pan
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Fresh Homemade Butter and maple syrup to top
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Place an oven safe dish inside oven.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, powdered sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, egg YOLK, melted butter, and vanilla.
- Rinse off your whisk.
- In a 3rd large bowl, beat the egg whites with a whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Combine the milk and flour mixtures together with a whisk.
- Carefully, fold in the beaten egg whites until just combined. DO NOT OVER MIX HERE
- Melt a small amount of butter in a pan or griddle over medium low heat.
- Pour 1/2 cup batter and cook for approximately 3 minutes or until bubbles are forming.
- Flip and cook for another 60-90 seconds on the second side.
- Remove pancake and place inside dish in oven to keep warm while remaining pancakes cook.
- Repeat with remaining batter, adding more butter as needed so pancakes don't stick.
Use 1/4 cup batter to make 10 medium pancakes instead
These products may help you with how to make fluffy homemade buttermilk pancakes: