The Seasoned Kids
Lesson 8: Sifting
I have to admit, growing up one of my favorite things to do was to sift, sieve, or strain anything that I was allowed too. It’s such a fun activity as a child to watch. As our girl is getting older, we have been letting her do these things as well and she has the same excitement as I did. Watching things separate when straining is a great lesson for science activities with kids too!
How to Start
This lesson should definitely be reserved for a slightly older child simply because sifting = mess and straining typically involves pouring from heavier containers. Our Snowball Bites aka Peanut Butter Balls recipe below is definitely the perfect starting recipe.
Tips for teaching your kids to sift, sieve, or strain
- Use a learning tower to get them stable at the counter
- Standing on a stool or sitting on the counter, doesn’t stabilize kids as much as a tower will
- Use large measuring cups to strain things instead of pots or crockpots that an adult would pour from
- Use smaller strainers (like this) or larger sifters (like this or this) instead to help with small hands
- In the beginning, only do cold or room temperature foods, no hot liquids. Flour or powdered sugar, while messier, are easier to start with.
These Snowball Bites (also called Peanut Butter Balls to some) are perfect to get your kids involved in helping with seasonal cookie trays that you may be giving out. Let them help! Watch the video, then grab the full recipe below!
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar + more for sifting
- Mix the peanut butter and butter together.
- Add the vanilla and stir until combined.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix until no powder remains.
- Roll into balls. (*Tip: Should make 2 dozen 1 inch balls or you can make less, but larger ones)
- Roll balls in or sift powdered sugar over the balls.
- Let sit in fridge for an hour.
- Eat! Nom Nom!
This post is a part of our “The Seasoned Kids”, kid’s cooking series. Learn more about The Seasoned Kids here.
- Week 1: Teaching Importance of Washing Fruits and Vegetables + Berry Parfait Recipe
- Week 2: Learning to Stir + Cranberry Coconut Energy Bites
- Week 3: 3 Ways to Mash + Overnight Oats Recipe 3 Ways
- Week 4: Spreading + Peanut Butter and Jelly Spider Sandwiches
- Week 5: Tearing + Bugs on a Log
- Week 6: Pouring + Chocolate Peanut Butter Yogurt Popsicles
- Week 7: Measuring & Weighing + Holiday Pudding Cups