Happy May friends!
Can you believe it’s already May!? It seems almost impossible, but I really think it might be because we have a second child now. Every month seems to have just gone by in a blink since having her and here we are just a few short weeks away from her 1st birthday! GAH!
Anywho, back on topic. May is National Strawberry Month AND National Salsa Month. Not only that, but it’s Cinco de Mayo in just a few days. What better way to celebrate all that than getting into out kitchen for Mini Chef Mondays to make this delicious Strawberry and Avocado Salsa.
This week was a super sensory learning experience for Skibbles. I have been teaching her about fresh herbs and we have started growing some from seeds too, so she was so excited to learn about that. We use both fresh basil and fresh cilantro in this recipe so seeing her touch and smell the leaves and talk about them with her was fun. We worked on tasting them and talking about how they taste different than spinach or lettuce. She kept picking them up and smelling them throughout the recipe.
We’ve also started working on her cutting skills. We gave her a kid’s safe cutting knife and she’s been practicing on various things. These strawberries for the strawberry and avocado salsa recipe were perfect since they just needed diced and nothing fancy. The most amazing thing about being a parent is watching your child’s eyes beam with proudness and satisfaction as they learn to do new things, especially things that they associate with being a grown up task.
Then we just had to mix everything together.
This is such a perfect recipe to getting your kid’s in the kitchen, teaching them new skills, and about mixing bold and unique flavors together. This Strawberry and Avocado Salsa is great on chips, but also pairs amazingly well atop grilled seasoned chicken. YUM!
- 1 Avocado diced
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh Strawberries diced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 1/2 tbsp Red Onion finely diced
- 1 clove Garlic finely minced
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Lime Zest of 1/2 Lime
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and gently combine.
Serve within 24 hours.
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 8 fabulous bloggers! Read how Mini Chef Mondays started, plus how to link up!
Join our facebook group to find even more recipes and share recipes too!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well!
- Cherry Avocado Smoothie Bowl // Courtney’s Sweets
- Zucchini Meatballs // Momma Lew
- Strawberry Lime Ice Pops // Baby Loving Mama
- Strawberry and Avocado Salsa // We’re Parents
- Edible Mother’s Day Gifts // Eating Richly Even When You’re Broke
- Dessert Tacos // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Perfect for Brunch Blintz Souffle // Vegging at the Shore
- 3 Ingredient Strawberry Rhubarb Fruit Leather // O’Boy! Organic
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Popsicles // Can’t Google Everything