This week has been crazy. I don’t know what’s going on, but the kids and I haven’t been meshing well. I know Mercury was in retrograde, the 4.5 year old has been testing her limits, my anxiety has been up, etc. It has really made for an unpleasant week. We were supposed to have a park date with friends today, however, it was cancelled when rain was in the forecast. Then, I got a brilliant idea. Let the kids go play in the rain. I know how I felt about playing in the rain when I was little. It’s amazing! There’s something about doing an activity you usually aren’t allowed to do that makes it so much more fun. Instantly, all our problems were solved. You would have thought I bought a bajillion pack of Shopkins. The girls were both so excited.
Watch our fun video from the day!
The crazy thing is, we didn’t even do anything spectacular. I just let them play how they normally would outside when it wasn’t raining. I tied our homeschool lesson for the day into our outside play and we talked about precipitation and what happens when the weather is warm vs. cold when the clouds get full.
As soon as we were outside, my mind started spinning about how we could make this even more fun as our kid’s get older. What could be some other activities to do in the rain with the kids?
10 Activities to Do in the Rain with Kids
- Jump in Puddles
- Have a race down the slide
- use either a timer or dual slides at a park
- Play in the mud
- Kids LOVE getting dirty. You can make mud pies or just play in the mud. Just hose them down at the end so not much makes it inside.
- Sing & Dance
- Our littles loved singing the Lemondrops & Gumdrops Rain Song and Dancing around
- Play favorite sports game
- Whether it’s tossing a football, throwing a frisbee, or kicking a soccer ball, it leads to even more exciting laughter when rain is involved
- Play tag
- Who wouldn’t want to play tag in the rain? It’s going to get messy, but that’s even more fun
- Paint artwork
- I’m most excited to do this one. The raindrops will create a unique painting that’s both fun and a learning experience
- Go for a walk
- It’s fun to do this one because it could be sprinkling one minute or pouring the next. It’s a fun adventure for all
- Water balloons and water guns
- I mean you’re already going to get wet! Enhance the experience by having even more fun!
- Follow the rain
- Where does the rain go? Why do puddles form? By following the rain, you can answer these questions and more to your little inquisitive minds
Can you think of other activities to do in the rain with kids? Leave us a comment a let us know what your kiddos would do!