I have always loved spicy food. There’s nothing better than a little heat. Since I found out I was pregnant, my love for it has increased like crazy. I always want something spicy. I was watching the Food Network the other day and saw a recipe for Spicy Spaghetti. How could I resist!? I was determined to make my own spicy vegetarian spaghetti sauce.
I’ll admit…at first I was somewhat nervous. The last time I tried to make homemade spaghetti sauce (about 8 years ago) it was disgusting. Like, almost inedible. To top it off I knew I would have to work extra hard to chopped everything up very small because my fiance HATES chunky sauce. I decided to give it a go anyways.
Start by gathering a onion, green pepper, jalapeno, and 2 cloves of garlic.
Chop all very fine.
Add olive oil and choppedingredients to a medium saucepan. Heat on medium for 10 minutes until everything is very tender.
Add crushed tomatoes, oregano, Salt, cracked pepper, cayenne, hot sauce, and sugar.Turn heat down and simmer for 20 minutes.
Serve over top of your favorite pasta! 🙂
This was quite the spicy dish. If making for kids, I would consider easing up on the spice. We both really enjoyed this meal and it will be added to the dinner rotation 🙂
This spicy vegetarian spaghetti sauce is the perfect sauce for pasta, on top of meat, and so much more.
- 1 whole chopped green pepper
- 1 whole chopped small yellow onion
- 1 whole chopped jalapeno ,seeded
- 2 garlic cloves ,minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- Salt and Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- In a medium sized pot, add oil, pepper, onion, jalapeno, and garlic and heat on medium for 10 minutes or until very soft.
- Then add oregano, cayenne pepper, hot sauce, sugar, and tomatoes.
- Add Salt and Cracked Black Pepper to taste.
- Heat on simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
- Serve over top of your favorite cooked pasta.
Whats your favorite type of pasta? I love rotini, but used fettuccine last night 🙂
This recipe is also amazing with our Bacon Fried Meatballs!!