Two things are known. I love my slow cooker recipes and I love spicy food. Even being pregnant, a majority of my cravings have focused around spicy food. I found the idea for this recipe here. I made some changes and in the end absolutely love this creamy pepper slow cooker chicken.
I did have to laugh as this recipe somewhat backfired on me. Since being pregnant, my skin has definitely been more sensitive and not thinking about it, I sliced the peppers without gloves. My hands burned for HOURS afterwards and no matter what I tried as a remedy it didn’t ease up very much. Luckily, I was able to fall asleep and when I woke up the next morning, it didn’t burn anymore. I will definitely be using gloves from here on out!
Start by washing your chicken and removing any fat. I used bone-in thighs because it’s what I had.
Sprinkle with chili powder and salt evenly.
Place chicken in greased crock pot. Add chicken broth, lemon juice, and peppers. Cook. Make sauce with the juice, cream cheese, flour, and salt/pepper.
Pour sauce over chicken. Top with bacon.
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup reduced or low sodium chicken broth
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 fresh banana pepper thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 4 oz half a package of low-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 2 slices low sodium bacon cooked and crumbled
- pepper to taste
- Remove fat from chicken and wash.
- Sprinkle chili powder and salt evenly over chicken.
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Place chicken inside slow cooker.
- Add lemon juice, broth, and peppers.
- Cook on high for 3 hours (or low for 6).
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and place on dish, cover to keep warm.
- Inside slow cooker, add the flour and cream cheese (turn to high if not already on high).
- Whisk together quickly until well combined.
- Cover for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want this to resemble a sauce, not a gravy.
- Add a tablespoon of water at a time, combining well after each, if too thick.
- Add Salt and pepper to taste to the sauce.
- Serve sauce over top of chicken.
- Sprinkle bacon evenly over top.