These Salted Caramel Chocolate Streusel Bars are the perfect combination of salty and sweet dessert. A creamy center with a crunchy topping in these chocolate bars makes them the perfect dessert.
For some reason, I’ve always loved salty and sweet treats. They are the perfect treat to me. I’m always looking for a new way to combine my favorite flavors together and I think these salted caramel chocolate streusel bars take the cake. The salted flavor comes in the form of both caramel and crushed pretzels. The sweet flavor emerges with chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate plus sweet milk. A soft creamy center with crunchy pretzels bites, makes this dessert a home run for pleasing all your cravings at once.
These salted caramel chocolate streusel bars are the perfect recipe to take to your next get together. When they were cooking, the smell that happened inside our house was amazing. You know how something is cooking and you just can’t wait until it’s done because you have to try it. That’s what happened here. I was sitting in front of the oven, watching the timer count down, and begging time to fly by. Luckily, this sweet treat was highly satisfying. Andrew even said it’s one of the best desserts we’ve ever made…and he’s hard to please! The creamy chocolate center is really what sets this bar apart from so many others.
What are Streusel Bars?
Streusel is a sugary crumb topping that is usually on cakes, bars, or pies. At its most basic level, a streusel topping is made from flour, sugar, and butter. Streusel Bars are when a streusel topping is combined on top of a dessert bars. In these Salted Caramel Chocolate Streusel Bars, we combine a streusel topping with a chocolate dessert bar to make a delicious treat all will love.
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, diced
- 1 egg
- 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, divided
- 1/2 cup White Chocolate Chips, divided
- 1 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pretzels, divided
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 13x9 pan with coconut oil. Set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and cocoa in large bowl.
- Add in butter and using your hands or a pastry cutter, combine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs like a streusel topping.
- Add egg and mix until well combined.
- Reserve 1 cup of the chocolate mixture.
- Press firmly the remaining chocolate mixture onto bottom of prepared pan, ensuring an even layer.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- While that is baking, in a medium sauce pot over medium heat, add all the ingredients for caramel except vanilla.
- Stir until butter has melted. Then, reduced heat to medium low and let cook, unstirred for 5 minutes (it will bubble but do not stir-if getting close to the top reduce heat).
- While you are waiting for the caramel to finish, place 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk inside a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for one minute, then stir.
- If needed, Continue at 15 second intervals until chips are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Remove caramel from stove and stir in vanilla. Reserve 1/3 cup caramel.
- Remove pan from oven.
- Pour caramel over crust and spread to make even.
- Add 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1/4 cup white chocolate chips, and 1/2 chopped pretzels on top of caramel.
- Pour chocolate and sweet milk mixture next and gently spread evenly.
- In a small bowl, combine the reserved crumb mixture, remaining semi-sweet and white chocolate chips, and remaining pretzels together.
- Evenly sprinkle over the top of the bars.
- Drizzle remaining caramel on top.
- Bake for an additional 28-33 minutes or until center is almost set.
- Cool completely and cut into bars.
PIN THESE SALTED CARAMEL CHOCOLATE STREUSEL BARS FOR LATER!