Disclosure: This Coconut Shrimp with Sweet Teriyaki Sauce shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SeasonYourHolidays #CollectiveBias
Contrary to what Larisha might tell you, I’m actually the better of us in the kitchen. Just because I don’t do it often, I blame work, I can actually make my way around the kitchen really well. And just an aside, the kids think my cooking is better too, but hey, we don’t have to agree or anything on that either. Let me stop before I have to sleep on the couch for the next few nights.
We were recently discussing what to take to our holiday get together in a few weeks and decided that we would make Coconut Shrimp with sweet teriyaki sauce. Whenever we see family for the holidays, there’s always an abundance of food for dinner, but when you get there a few hours early, some appetizers are nice to have on hand. I mean, a man is hungry and the smell of dinner has my belly making flips. Feed me!
A spin on coconut shrimp.
Typically, we’re always given a pina colada sauce with coconut shrimp, but one time at a restaurant, Larisha accidentally dipped her coconut shrimp in the teriyaki sauce and fell in love. Ever sense, she loves the combination together. The deep soy sauce flavor with garlic mixed in with the sweet bits of coconut just add a great flavor combination. Coconut Shrimp with Sweet Teriyaki sauce is the perfect dish for whatever the occasion.
For this recipe, we start by heading to our local Walmart and grabbing Kikkoman® Less Sodium soy sauce for a healthier recipe and Kikkoman® Panko Bread Crumbs (Japanese Style). These are a must if you are making this recipe. Don’t worry the Less Sodium variety doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice flavor, it’s still amazing. Kikkoman® also has a variety of Gluten-Free products certified by the Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG). You’ll be able to find the Kikkoman® Panko Bread Crumbs in the breading aisle (usually next to the spices) rather than an Asian section that your store may have.
Once we’re home, it’s time to put everything together. The sweet coconut fried with the crunch of the bread crumbs and then dipped in the sweet teriyaki sauce is just enough to make my mouth water thinking about the holidays coming up when I can have them again. They are the perfect appetizer to take with your or even a great dish for a brunch this holiday season. Grab the recipe below!
- 2-3 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup Kikkoman® Panko Bread Crumb
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 20 large shrimp, pre-cooked
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Pinch pink salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup Kikkoman® Less Sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tea cornstarch mixed w/ 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp ACV
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- In a flat baking dish, combine the flour, paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, and pink salt. Stir to combine.
- In another flat baking dish, combine Kikkoman® Panko Bread Crumbs and coconut.
- In a third dish or bowl, beat the eggs.
- One at a time, dredge shrimp first in the flour mixture, then into the beaten eggs, and lastly into the coconut mixture.
- Place on a plate. Repeat with each shrimp.
- Place the vegetable oil In a medium size pot, over medium high heat.
- Once it's hot enough to fry, add shrimp and fry until evenly golden brown. 2-4 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate lined with a towel to soak up any remaining grease.
- Repeat until all the shrimp have been cooking.
- Add all sauce ingredients to a small pot.
- Bring to boil.
- Turn to low and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add cornstarch and water mixture and stir to combine.
- Let heat through for 1-2 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Serve with finished coconut shrimp.
For all your holiday entertaining needs, keep Kikkoman® in mind. There are currently Ibotta deals for $.50 of Kikkoman® Soy Sauce or Kikkoman® Panko bread crumbs available now. Love our coconut shrimp with sweet teriyaki sauce and now need even more holiday inspiration? Check our other Kikkoman® inspired holiday creations.