Craving both cake and cookies, but don’t want to compromise? These Double Chocolate Cake Cookies are the perfect combination to satisfy both cravings.
For years, I wasn’t a huge chocolate fan. It’s true. I would eat brownies, but chocolate chip cookies or chocolate cake, it wasn’t for me. When Andrew and I got together, he desperately tried to change my mind. See, he lovesssss chocolate. If he’s in a bad mood, chocolate can usually fix that. I love putting a piece of chocolate in his lunch box when I know he’s having a rough start to the day. It’s the little things that really matter.
Thankfully, his love of chocolate taught me to appreciate it more. Now, I still don’t have a love obsession with chocolate cake, but cookies, brownies, and other desserts, I’m all in for all the chocolate.
Every Saturday, we make a different cookie for our in-home date night. It’s something we’ve done for a little over a year now and it’s something we both look forward to at the end of every week. One night, Andrew was in charge of the recipe and he said he was making chocolate cake cookies. I was so upset.
I didn’t like chocolate cake and I wasn’t going to like these cookies. BIG MISTAKE. They were amazingggggg. One of the best cookies that I’ve ever had.
Not only did I love them, but the girls devoured them and then asked for more.
The baby even tried to help herself after we turned our back. They are definitely a hit in the house and since the first time, we’ve made them again and again and again.
The kids always try to “help” me lick the batters after the mixture is done while we are waiting for the cookies to finish up and it always get a bit interesting.
How do you make cake cookies without boxed cake mix?
Cake cookies made with a combination of regular white and cake flour is the key to successful cake cookies that taste like the dream you have of cake and cookie all in one. Plus the addition of arrowroot powder acts to thicken the cookie to give it that cake feeling.
Grab the Double Chocolate Cake Cookies Recipe:
Craving both cake and cookies, but don't want to compromise? These Double Chocolate Cake Cookies are the perfect combination to satisfy both cravings.
- ½ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder cornstarch could be used as a substitute
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter 2 sticks, cold, cut into pats
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips milk chocolate used in these photos; however, we've done white, semi-sweet, peanut butter chips, or a combination of a variety of these as well.
- Preheat oven on 410 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, both flours, arrowroot powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time just until mixed in.
- Add vanilla and mix just until blended.
- Add all dry ingredient mixture and stop as soon as it's combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll mixture into 12 large balls.
- Cook for 8-12 minutes or until set.
- Remove and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container for up to 7 days.
**Nutritional facts are just estimates. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates.
Pin these Double Chocolate Cake Cookies for Later: