If you’ve ever wondered how to slow cook a whole chicken, we’ve got the answers here for you today.
*Disclosure: Affiliate links contained in this post. We receive a small commission for purchases and thank you for helping us continue to run our site.
Ever since I became a mom, my daily goal is to work smarter, not harder. I want our days to be easy. As often as I can remember, I throw meals together in our slow cooker. My mom did this growing up and now I love doing it too. One of the best things to make in the slow cooker is a whole chicken. It’s an easy way to get protein for multiple meals cooked up and who doesn’t love the taste of a slow cooked chicken.
For us, a slow cooked chicken is enough for two dinners and usually lunch two times for one of us. Plus, we reuse the bones to make bone broth. It’s a win win at such a low cost. If you are looking for a low cost meal to stretch your budget, this is it.
How long does it take to cook a whole chicken in a crock pot?
You can cook a whole chicken in a crock pot on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Personally, we prefer the lower, longer method because we feel like the chicken is really able to absorb more flavor. As with everything, your exact cooking time with vary on how large of a chicken you purchased. Chicken should reach an internal temperature in the breast of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
How do you slow cook chicken?
It’s so easy. Stuff the inside of the chicken with garlic, onions, celery, and carrots. Then use a mixture of seasonings and rub the chicken. Place the raw chicken inside of a slow cooker and cook 4-8 hours until your chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 1 Whole Chicken roughly 2.5-4lbs
- 4 large stalks of celery
- 6 large carrots
- 1 large sweet onion
- 10 cloves of garlic peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- In a bowl, mix together the paprika, italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and chili powder.
- Evenly rub the spice blend on both sides and in the inside of the chicken.
- Place chicken into the slow cooker.
- Roughly chop all the vegetables.
- Stuff a variety of all the vegetables into the chicken and place any remaining vegetables into the slow cooker. Add bay leaves.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Chicken should be at least 165 degrees F to eat.
- Serve & enjoy!
How do you use slow cooked chicken?