No matter how hard you try, kids are innately going to be picky at some point in time in their lives, thus creating an insanely frustrating experience for us as parents. I mean, don’t they realize that we already have enough to worry and deal with on a daily basis!? We need them to just eat the food we create. But I digress. Tuna is one of those ingredients that kids can be picky about. Today they may eat it, tomorrow maybe not. One of the things that I’ve realized with my toddler is that if I can make it resemble a pizza or pizza like product, she’s more than willing to try it, which is always the first step. More often than not, she actually likes what the meal is that I’m making if I make it this way too.
Now, if you ask me, tuna melt sandwiches are amazing. Ask Andrew, not so much. He’s my biggest kid around here so I know if he’s hesitant about something, I need to find a solution for making sure that the girls will eat it. I know how beneficial eating tuna is and I like to make sure that my family is consuming sustainable fish products a minimum of once a week.
Alas, you have my idea for this amazing, Spicy Tuna Melt Calzone.
Loaded with great veggies like peppers, celery, and onions to kick up the nutrients, beautiful Wild Selections® solid white albacore tuna, topped with spicy pepper jack cheese and wrapped inside our easy, but delicious pizza dough recipe — man, this is perfect!
- 2 cans Wild Selections® Solid White Albacore tuna in olive oil
- 1/2 cup mixed red yellow, and orange peppers, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp mayo
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp red onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp celery finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- Pizza Dough
- 6 oz pepper jack cheese thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- Drain the two cans of Wild Selections® Solid White Albacore tuna.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the Wild Selections® Solid White Albacore tuna with the next eight ingredients.
- Combine well and then refrigerate until ready to use.
- Using our pizza dough recipe, make according to instructions, freezing half the portion not being used and allowing the other portion to rise for 45 minutes.
- Set oven to 425 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, split dough into four even pieces and roll into round balls.
- Roll each ball into a round circle, approximately 6 inches in diameter.
- Place 1/4 of the Wild Selections® tuna mixture onto one half of the circle.
- Top of 1/4 of the cheese.
- Careful fold the non-filled side over and push sides together with your fingers.
- Then, using the bottom of a fork, seal the edges.
- Repeat with remaining 3 balls.
- Brush with butter.
- Place on a pizza stone or baking sheet.
- Cook for 22-30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Remove and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- *The toddler wanted honey mustard with hers and I admit it wasn't too bad 😉
Verdict? Everyone loved it! Including Andrew! He actually said he would eat it again, which obviously made me super happy. What made me even happier is knowing that we were using a quality tuna from Wild Selections® that would benefit our family and the environment in a positive way. Their simple all natural ingredients and delicious taste can’t be beat!
Wild Selections® is the only full line of Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certified sustainable seafood. When you see their blue MSC eco-label you know that the fish in the can you are giving your family comes from well managed fisheries and healthy fish stocks. Their sustainably sourced fish is 100% traceable. What’s even better is that Wild Selections®’ tuna is Non-GMO verified AND they give 13 cents from every can sold to the World Wildlife Fund marine conservation and fishery improvement projects.
You can go to Wild Selections® website to see where your fish was caught and use the Store Locator to pick up your products today. Then make sure you whip up our amazing Spicy Tuna Melt Calzone
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.