This Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Lactation Boosting Milkshake is the most delicious, easy lactation recipe that you need! Drink one everyday!
Watch how to make this chocolate lactation smoothie:
Do Lactation Recipes Work?
**Note: If you are truly concerned about your milk production, please reach out to an IBCLC and/or your local La Leche League. You can also read our post about Lactation Boosting Foods to increase your milk supply.
What ingredients are in a chocolate peanut butter banana lactation milkshake?
The ingredients sound pretty straights forward. Of course you need:
- cocoa powder
- peanut butter
- and frozen banana
But you will also need:
- rolled oats (old fashioned)
- ground flaxseed
- milk (dairy free if needed)
- ice to make it thicker
That’s it, just 7 ingredients for this easy and delicious recipe
Do I have to be lactating to enjoy this milkshake?
I get this question a lot when some moms see this post shared in a Facebook group or on Instagram. They love the combo, but they either didn’t or are no longer nursing. The good news ….No! You don’t.
If you look at the ingredient list, there is nothing in there that the average person couldn’t enjoy. It just so happens that the combination of ingredients seem to help lactating mothers.
In fact, Andrew has drank this milkshake on more than a few occasions. I’ve had it not breastfeeding. And it’s a great one to give to your little ones, since it’s all natural ingredients. Even though there’s a little bit of chocolate, it’s natural cocoa powder and we don’t use any added sweeteners.
What oats are best for lactation?
We prefer old fashioned rolled oats over quick oats. While both are whole grains and the same product, old fashioned oats have not been processed, thus are more in their true form.
You can definitely use quick oats if you have them on hand and do not have old fashioned oats, but we do prefer the later.
Also, it’s important to note that you should not use instant oats in this recipe. They will soak up the milk too quickly and you will end up with something more like overnight oats (delicious, but not what you want for this recipe).
Helpful Tips for this Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Lactation Boosting Milkshake:
- If you do not want a “grainy” lactation smoothie, then add the oats and flax seeds first and pulse to grind into a fine powder first. Then, add in the remaining ingredients and blend thoroughly.
- If you are nut free, you can sub with sunbutter, but the taste will be different. We find sunbutter a little more powerful in flavor than peanut butter, so adjust the level of cocoa or even add a splash of maple syrup.
- Other nut butters, besides peanut butter, may also be used.
- I’ve made it with both fresh and frozen bananas. Both are great. You may need to add a bit more ice with a fresh banana to make it as thick.
- 100% Cacao is slightly bitter since there are no sweeteners. If you are looking for a sweeter taste, add 1/2 to 1 full tablespoon of raw honey, agave, or maple syrup.
- Subbing milk for coconut or almond milk, or even water is always an options, though the taste will be different.
The tips above will help ensure that you are able to create a Top 8 Allergen Free lactation smoothie if that is something that you need.
What are other lactation recipes that I should try?
Once you try this delicious lactation smoothie, we are sure that you are going to be looking for other delicious recipes to try! Good news, is that we have a few that are too die for. Some, maybe even better than this recipe (is that even possible!?) Here’s some ideas:
- Lactation Energy Bites
- Peanut Butter Apple Pie Lactation Smoothie
- No Bake Lactation Bars
- Strawberry Coconut Cashew Lactation Smoothie
- Delicious Lactation Cookies
We hope that you love these recipes!
This Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Lactation Boosting Milkshake is the most delicious easy lactation recipe that you need! Drink one everyday!
In a blender, add the oats and give it a quick pulse or two.
Add remaining ingredients, except ice, and blend until well combined.
Add 2 cups of ice until well blended.
Enjoy with a thick straw or a spoon!
*Feel free to skip the ice if you just want a smoothie.
**Nutritional facts are just estimates. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates.
**See tips in post about making this a Top 8 Allergen Free smoothie.